To wrap up units 1-3, we will create a summative document explaining & illustrating what you’ve learned. Full instructions are here.
INSTRUCTIONAL GOALS: When we finish this lesson, you should be able to…
- Explain the mechanism of reproduction and heredity that ensure children look (more) like their parents.
- Differentiate between DNA, genes, traits, proteins, and chromosomes when talking about the cellular basis of heredity.
- Contrast the phenotype (traits) of an organism with its genotype (genes), and explain how evolution acts on traits, while heredity passes on genes.
- Analyze the inheritance of recessive alleles, illustrating with specific examples.
- Connect genetics and evolution together to tell an evolutionary story with modern tools & examples.
* * *
RESOURCES & LINKS: Our primary resources during this unit include…
- Website: Genetics101 – by 23andme
- Website: The Genetic Basics – by National Institute of Health
- Interactive: Tour of Basic Genetics – by learn.genetics.utah
- Interactive: Pigeon Breeding – by learn.genetics.utah
- Radio: Inheritance – by Radiolab
- Video: Molecular Visualizations of DNA – by WEHImovies
- Video: Malaria and Sickle Cell Anemia – by HHMI Biointeractive
- Presentation: Hybridization Barriers: Why Species Don’t Mix – by me